When you are injured in a New York bicycle accident that was caused by negligence of other parties, you may claim compensation. However, certain steps you take or fail to take can significantly impact your recovery process as well as your personal injury claim. In other words, what you do or fail to do can affect your ability to obtain the damages that rightfully should be paid to you.
To avoid costly mistakes that can impact your claim, you should consider the following important tips:
- Get the important contact information for all of the parties involved in the accident and any witnesses that may have been present at the scene of the accident.
- Call the police to come to the scene of the accident and ask them to prepare a report.
- Never give a recorded statement to an insurance adjuster or sign any papers or offers without first getting legal advice.
- Do no admit fault.
- Seek immediate medical attention, even if you think your injuries are not serious.
- Document everything that happens after you leave the accident scene by keeping a detailed, daily journal.
- Keep track of important documents related to your bicycle accident, such as the police report, statements of witnesses, medical bills and any other documents that may be critical in proving your claim.
- Hire a New York bicycle accident attorney who has experience handling bicycle accident claims with similar fact patterns as your case.
If you or a loved one has been seriously injured in a bicycle accident that was caused by the negligent or reckless actions of another party, call the New York City bicycle accident lawyers at Gersowitz, Libo & Korek, P.C. as you may be entitled to compensation.
For more information or to schedule a complimentary consultation, call us at 212-584-2494. We are dedicated to getting you the full compensation you are entitled to for the injuries you have suffered.