New York City bicycle riders have the same rights and responsibilities as other motorists on the road, including responsibilities during and after a bicycle accident. Since the same laws apply to both New York motorists and bicyclists, it is imperative that you know your rights if you are involved in an accident while riding your bicycle.
Below are 5 important steps to take if you are injured in a New York City bicycle accident:
- Call the police. By calling the police and having the details of the accident properly documented, it will make it easier for your attorney to prepare your case for negotiation or trial.
- Do not leave the scene of the accident. Although you are encouraged to leave the roadway and get to a safe location, you should never leave the general area where the accident occurred. Wait until the police arrive and you have provided them with all the necessary information regarding the accident.
- Get detailed information from all parties and witnesses to the accident. Without proper information, it will make it very difficult for your attorney to help you recover the compensation that you need. As such, it is important for you to get the contact information of the responsible party and any witnesses to the scene of the accident.
- Seek medical attention as soon as possible. You should get medical attention immediately following the accident, even if you don’t feel that you are hurt. Symptoms of some injuries may not surface until a few days or even weeks following an accident.
- Talk to a New York City bicycle attorney with a successful track record. To ensure you get the full compensation that you deserve, you should hire an experienced attorney.
Injured on a Bike? Call an Experienced Attorney Today!
If you or a loved one has been seriously injured in a bicycle accident that was caused by the negligent or reckless actions of another party, call the New York City bicycle lawyers at Gersowitz, Libo & Korek, P.C. as you may be entitled to compensation.
For more information or to schedule a complimentary consultation, call us at 212-584-2494.