MVAIC Claims for York City Bicycle Riders Injured by Uninsured Motorist

Being injured in a New York City bicycle accident is painful, but the possibility of having to bear the costs because you were injured by an uninsured motorist can be devastating. However, you may be able to recover from New York’s Motor Vehicle Accident Indemnification Corporation (MVAIC).

But unfortunately, navigating the red tape of the MVAIC process can be complicated and challenging. The legal team at Gersowitz, Libo & Korek P.C. can help you complete the necessary paperwork and negotiate with the MVAIC to get the compensation that you need.

What is the MVAIC?

The Motor Vehicle Accident Indemnification Corporation was created in 1958 by the New York State Legislature under New York’s no-fault insurance liability law. This non-profit organization provides no-fault and bodily injury coverage to automobile accident victims, pedestrians and bicyclists who were injured by an uninsured motorist. MVAIC coverage also applies if you were denied coverage or you were involved in a hit-and-run New York City bicycle accident.

MVIAC will provide you with a maximum of $50,0000 in no-fault benefits as well as the available coverage for a maximum of $25,000 per person who was injured in the accident.  Compensation is provided for expenses such as loss of wages, medical bills and personal injuries.

Qualifying for MVAIC Benefits

In order to qualify for MVAIC benefits, the following requirements must be met:

  1. You must have been involved in an accident with a motorist.
  2. You must have been a New York resident when the accident occurred. However, under special circumstances, residents of other states may also qualify for MVAIC benefits.
  3. You must not have any other automobile insurance coverage available to you. If you or someone else in your household has coverage, you will first be required to file a claim under that policy for benefits.
  4. You must not be the owner of the uninsured vehicle that collided with your bicycle.
  5. You must not be the spouse of the uninsured vehicle owner who caused the accident.
  6. You must timely file your MVAIC claim.

How to File Your MVAIC Claim

In order to file an MVIC claim and get compensation for the injuries you suffered as a result of your New York City bicycle accident, you must follow a few important steps:

1. Report your car-on-bicycle accident within 24 hours to the police.

2. Download and complete the Notice of Intent (NOI) form from the MVAIC website and file it:

  •  Within 90 days if you were involved in a hit-and-run bicycle accident or
  •  Within 180 days if the accident involved an identified motor vehicle.

3. Download and complete the Household Affidavit (HHA) form.

4. Notarize and mail both forms along with proof of New York residency to the MVAIC office.
Once you have submitted your claim, an MVAIC examiner will be assigned to your case and will process your file. If you are requested to provide additional information, you or your New York City bicycle attorney must do so as quickly as possible in order to avoid any delays.

Our New York City bicycle Attorneys Can Help

For more information or to file a MVAIC claim, call Gersowitz, Libo & Korek P.C. at (212) 584-2494 to schedule a  complimentary consultation with one of our experienced New York City bicycle attorneys.

Get Answers to Your Bicycle Accident Questions: