Bike riding is a lot of fun, especially for younger kids. But accidents happen and it is the obligation of parents to make sure their children are as safe as possible when riding their bikes, especially if they choose to allow them to ride on the busy streets of New York.
Every year, approximately 300,000 children go the emergency room as result of New York bicycle injuries, and at least 10,000 of these injuries require a few days of stay in the hospital. Unfortunately, some accidents are even fatal, usually as result of serious trauma to the child’s delicate skulls.
Although you cannot prevent your children from riding a bike and you cannot put them in a bubble while riding a bike, you can take several safety precautions to ensure that in the event of an accident, they are safer and will sustain fewer injuries.
Important Safety Tips to Remember
Below are some important tips our New York bicycle injury lawyers recommend that you consider:
- Always make sure your child wears a properly fitted helmet – besides, it’s the law!
- Use elbow and knee pads to reduce the severity of injuries in the event of an accident.
- Do not allow your child to ride unattended, especially if they are much younger and/or riding on busy streets.
- Make sure the bicycle is in proper working condition.
- Have your child wear bright colored clothing so they are visible to other motorists and pedestrians.
In the event that your little one is involved in a New York bicycle accident, he or she may be entitled to compensation. Our New York bicycle injury lawyers can help you determine if you have a claim against the negligent party that caused the accident.
We Are Here to Help!
If you or a loved one has been injured while riding a bicycle or would like to consult with a New York City bicycle injury attorney, call Gersowitz, Libo & Korek, P.C. at (212)584-2494. Our experienced legal team is dedicated to fighting for your rights and getting you the just compensation that you deserve.