Riding a bicycle has become a favorite and convenient mode of transportation for many New York commuters. The use of bikes has especially gained popularity since the launch of the Citi Bike Share Program, where riders can pick up and drop off bikes rented at numerous locations throughout the city.
However, the convenience and popularity of New York City bicycle riding also accompanies risks and dangers. According to the NYC DOT, over 6,000 bicycle accidents were reported across the city in 2010. This number is expected to dramatically rise with the overwhelming popularity of the Citi Bikes.
Tips to Reduce or Avoid Accidents
Although it is almost impossible to avoid bicycle accidents, you can reduce your likelihood of being involved in a catastrophic accident by following the bicycle safety tips below:
- Wear a helmet. New York State Laws require all young riders to wear helmets while riding a bike.
- Obey all traffic laws. Bike riders are subject to the same traffic laws as motorists.
- When possible, try not to ride a bicycle in the dark. If you must, make sure your bicycle is quipped with proper lights and reflective gear and you are wearing clothing that can be easily seen.
- Always ride with the flow of traffic and not against traffic.
- Do not ride a bicycle if you have been consuming alcoholic beverages. Drinking can severely impair your reaction time and can most certainly result in a New York City bicycle accident.
Despite taking all the precautions, you may still be involved in an accident. And as a bicyclist, your only recourse may be to timely file a personal injury claim against the negligent driver who caused the accident.
Contact an Experienced Bicycle Accident Attorney Today!
If you or a loved one has been injured while riding a bicycle or would like to consult with a New York City bicycle accident injury attorney, call Gersowitz, Libo & Korek, P.C. at (212) 584-2494. Our experienced legal team is dedicated to fighting for your rights and getting you the just compensation that you deserve.