While riding a bicycle may be a fun activity or a convenient mode of transportation, it should be done with caution to avoid life-threatening injuries. Falling off bicycles is one of the biggest risks of riding. Although most falls only result in scrapes and bruises, others may result in serious injuries, especially to the head.
Although you may not be able to completely prevent an accident while riding your bicycle, there are certain steps you can take to reduce the severity of the resulting injuries. One important safety precaution is to wear a properly fitted helmet.
What To Look For When Buying a Helmet
Wearing a helmet is an important safety measure that all bicyclists should follow. However, in order for the helmet to be as effective as possible in the event of an accident, you should look for the following things when making your purchase:
- The helmet should meet the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) standard for bicycle helmets.
- The helmet should be constructed with thick, firm polystyrene or other shock-absorbing material.
- The helmet should have a strong strap that fastens around your chin and will stay on in the event of an accident.
- The helmet should fit snugly and cover the top of your forehead in the proper position.
- If you fall and hit your head, your helmet has already served its purpose. In order to ensure your safety the second time around, you need to purchase a new helmet. The reason is that the helmet’s essential shock-absorbing material may not retain its cushioning properties if it has already been involved in a fall.
Contact an Experienced New York Accident Lawyer
If you or a loved one has been involved in an accident and suffered serious injuries, it is important that you immediately consult with an experienced lawyer. For more information or to schedule a complimentary consultation with one of our New York City bicycle injury lawyers, please call Gersowitz, Libo & Korek, P.C. at 212-584-2494.