Bicyclists are starting to outnumber motorists in many areas of New York City. With the increasing costs in train fares and the lack of parking, bicycling is being embraced by all kinds of New Yorkers. In order to cater this new trend of bicycling as a mode of transportation, the de Blasio administration is looking to expand biker-friendly infrastructure. The reason is that about 90% of bicycle fatalities occur outside of bikeways.
Although the city is taking many steps to further protect the safety of bicyclists, getting into an accident is almost inevitable. As such, it is important that you know what to do in the event of an accident before you get on your bike for a ride.
5 Things You Need to Do After a Bike Crash
When the inevitable happens, you need first make sure you haven’t suffered any major injuries – even before you get off the ground. If all of your limbs are intact and you can see clearly, you need to move quickly to a safe spot off the road or out of the way of moving traffic. Once you are in a safe spot, you should:
- Call 911 and ask the police to come to the scene of the accident and prepare an accident report.
- Get the information for all the parties involved in the accident, especially the driver who caused the accident.
- Get the information for any eye witnesses to the accident.
- Take pictures of the scene of the accident, especially of the car that hit you.
- Seek immediate medical treatment, even if you don’t think you have suffered any serious injuries. Symptoms of certain medical conditions may not surface until a few days or even weeks after an accident.
Another important step to take after a bicycle accident is to consult with an NYC bicycle accident attorney. An experienced lawyer can protect your legal rights and help you get the maximum compensation that you deserve for the injuries you have suffered.
At Gersowitz, Libo & Korek, P.C., our attorneys understand the ramifications of a bicycle accident on the victim and their family members. We are aggressive in getting our clients the full extent of monetary compensation they are entitled to for the injuries they have suffered.
If you or a loved one was injured due to the negligent actions of another driver while riding your bicycle and would like to consult with an experienced New York bicycle accident attorney, please call Gersowitz, Libo & Korek, P.C. at 1-800-529-9997.